Current Location: Just off Clapham Common, London

Thursday, May 27, 2010

Evening shifts - mainly boredom and sandwiches. Oh, and a cuckoo clock!


25/05 - I awoke at about 10 and somehow didn't manage to leave the house until noon. I did all my jobs - went shopping, did laundry, went on a secret mission and made it to CERN at 1450, just in time for my shift. It is as hot today as it was yesterday (33ยบ, according to the Forumeyrin pharmacy), so once again I am not relishing the prospect of 8 hours indoors. There were a couple of ticket inspectors on the bus this morning, larking about and putting ice down each others backs. I don't think I have ever seen such cheery inspectors, making jokes with the passengers and putting us all at ease (although I doubt I would feel the same had I not had a ticket).


My shift was uneventful, I failed to get some stuff working and went a bit mad - I felt really twitchy and unhappy for most of it. This was solved a little when I decided to have my dinner a bit early, as the bagels (coronation chicken and smoked salmon & Philadelphia) made me drowsy and content. I think I am beginning to worry about the service work and my 2nd year report, which I have to finish (and indeed start) in the next 10 days/2½ weeks respectively.


26/05 - I ended up staying up for a few hours by accident, despite being exhausted at midnight. I was mostly reading comics, and before I knew it it was 3am. I got up at 11, made gnocchi for breakfast and more bagels (same fillings) for my dinner. I booked trains to Paris to see Pat & Reshmi in a few weeks (which had gone up €23 in the past week) and I had plans to hoover and go and lie in the sun, but before I knew it it was nearly 2pm and I had to dash in for my shift - I seem incapable of arriving anything but in the nick of time.


Nothing happened on shift at all, as far as I remember. I sat, read articles and attempted some work, and ate my bagels. That is it.


27/05 - Today I finally managed to buy Clare's birthday present, a cuckoo clock which you can see below. I chose it, with Kelly's help, from a plethora of variations on the theme - there are loads of shops in town which sell exactly the same clocks for different prices - I saw variations of about CHF 40 for this particular one.


Clare's birthday present (prices clumsily blurred out)


Today was a better planned day than usual, and I even managed a nice lunch (although I forget what) and made it to shift with plenty of time spare. Shift was, yet again, pretty dull. I don't really have too much to say about it. I had a pretty awesome dinner, which mainly consisted of a home-made caprese salad with some fresh baked bread, and also to supplement this I nipped off to R1 and got some takeaway beef fagotini. I was seen by a few people (Dan, Elisa, Matilde) en route, all of whom shouted "You're on shift! What are you doing away from your desk!" or words to that effect. I managed to make the earlier bus and was in my flat by about 2345, but I inevitably ended up staying up for a couple of hours, in spite of my tiredness.

No comments: