Current Location: Just off Clapham Common, London

Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Dot to Dot and Bank Holiday Weekend!


28/05 - I came in to get that bloody clock, but that was all I did at CERN today. I left things pretty late, getting the 3pm shuttle and managing to check in (I was too late to do this online, apparently) and make it through security with just enough time for a panachée at the gate. I managed to get all the way from my desk to my front door in 3h50m, a new record! Kelly came home a few minutes after me and we went over to her friends Emily and Sarah's for dinner. They have an awesome place in Kentish town, the dinner was good and there was quite a lot of wine. Quite a civilised evening really, Kelly Sarah and Emily did that wierd girl talking a few times, where all of a sudden they get very loud and high pitched, leaving myself and (Emily's) John to look at each other in bewilderment. We managed to get the tube home, along with crowds of tipsy revellers making their way to somewhere sweaty in Clapham.


29/05 - Ooh, hangover a bit. We had to get BBQ supplies, so we went to ASDA via Subway where I devoured a foot-long in a very short time, which served to soak up some of the remaining red wine. We had the BBQ in spite of the rubbish weather, and Clare really liked the cuckoo clock - it now has pride of place in her living room, and the cuckoo has been named Toblerone.


For some reason I wasn't entirely into the BBQ, in fact I got a bit grumpy and started cleaning around people, all very odd. I am not sure why I felt so against it. I had to have the same Geneva chat many many times, although this is to be expected really. Loads of people turned up, including guys from Uni, Kelly's old friends from home and a few others too. The last guests left at 11pm, and we went to bed soon after - I was exhausted and fell asleep immediately my head hit the pillow, probably best considering the grump I was in.


30/05 - Kelly, Birdie and I were up and set off to King's Cross at 10ish, heading up for Dot To Dot. Birdie and I got a Burger King breakfast which they totally messed up (wrong order, wrong details, wrong drinks). We went to meet Sam in Nottingham - he was working, so he gave us his keys and some VIP wristbands along with some tokens for free drinks. We had a pint (well, a Bloody Mary) by the canal and then met Dan at the station, before heading off to catch some gigs. Both Dan and Ed have buggered up their ankles in the last week, so (with the exception of some fine hop-dancing later in the evening) they were confined to standing pretty still for the whole day. I really enjoyed everyone I saw, starting off with White Hinterland and Small Black, who were especially great and were playing in a tiny little venue. We had a mexican dinner at Chiquitos, then saw Wild Beasts - probably the best of the day, they have amazing voices - and Beach House followed by Los Campesinos (things start getting hazy here). We then returned to Rock City via Stealth, where we caught an hour or so of an awesome silent disco. We saw some of Jakwob before Sam came and whisked us away for some drinks in Resuce Rooms (Kelly is telling me this, I have almost no recollection of this interlude). We returned for Zane Lowe and his 'shouty boy music', as Kelly described it - a really good set, featuring a good mix of heavy stuff from all genres. We had an awful kebab, branded as 'dog meat' by Ed, on the way back to Sam's I had bit of a panic as I thought I had lost my wallet, so Sam and I got a cab back into town for a bit of a search, but with no luck. We gave up and came home at about 4, only to find the wallet out in the yard where we had tried to eat the bad kebabs. Arse.


Birdie at the silent disco


31/05 - Kelly and I ended up sleeping on a tiny sofabed (the same one we have in our house, which I detest) with a tiny duvet, and were up and out of there sharpish as we had a train at 1038. We had first class seats on the way home, which I was very glad of. We went home via Sainsbury's and passed out for a little bit, then got up and cooked loads of leftover sausages for lunch/dinner, which we ate in front of the telly. We watched the first three episodes of The Pacific, and after this it was still only about 8pm. We all had an early night - all in all, it was a really nice bank holiday Monday.


01/06 - Hmm, these early mornings aren't getting any easier. I was up at 6 today, and ended up waiting 15 minutes at Clapham Junction for a train to Gatwick. When I got to CERN I was exhausted as usual, but as I have various deadlines looming I managed to work until 1830 when I did my French homework with a beer and had a (disappointing) courgette and tomato gratin & chips. French class was fine, although I found it tricky to concentrate after I realised that I had left my keys at CERN. I did some under-the-table texting to try and sort this out, but everyone had gone home so I left class half an hour early and went to go and get them. I eventually got home a little after midnight, meaning I had been up and out of the house for about 17 hours.

No comments: