Current Location: Just off Clapham Common, London

Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Day 231-2 - Goodbye Sydney, Hello Melbourne!

Day 231 (Monday 2nd) - Packing, Quizzing And Girls Kissing


The best part of the day was taken up with buying a box, packing it, repacking it, repeating this a few times then eventually just ramming everything in and deciding that was enough of that. Em had her exam in the afternoon, with promises of going out and getting really drunk when she returned. This wasn't immediately the case, as she came back and slipped into trackies and slumped on the sofa in front of Scrubs for a while. We went to the local and met her mate Emily (the one who told me way more than I needed to know about her and Sam's relationship last time I saw her), and ended up taking part in the pub quiz - we did pretty well, 5th out of 12 but only about 4 points behind the winners. Quiz over, Em and I headed out to Surrey Hills to meet her mate Dog, who I've met before and quite liked. We had a couple of drinks in a scuzzy pub before moving on to a bar on Oxford street, in the gay area of town. It being a Monday night, it wasn't too busy, so we settled down for another beer or two. Within 10 minutes of sitting down, two girls came and sat not more than 5 metres away, and swiftly started making out. Emily turned to see what Dog and I were gawping at, then turned back and gasped "Is that... are they... hot lesbians?" Dog and I nodded dumbly. The girls continued what they were doing unabated for ages, so long in fact that we moved downstairs because it was becoming obvious that we were watching them, and we hadn't said anything to Em for ages. When I passed them again later, one was lying on the sofa and I swear the other one was biting her nipple through her shirt. Awesome.


Anyway, armed with a grin and a slight sense of voyeuristic guilt, we left the pub around half one and said farewell to Dog before heading home. My dinner consisted of a wierd meat-filled pastry and two Baklawa from Zeno's Restaurant, which looked like I was the first customer in a good few months, and sort of tasted like it too. This was my only non-instant noodle food today - I need to improve.


Day 232 (Tuesday 3rd) - Hanging And Cancellations


Today was a bit of a hassle - I woke up feeling like absolute death with a real bastard behind the eyes, worked out that I drank over a gallon of beer last night, and sat around feeling rubbish and very slowly finished packing. I took my box down to the post office where I was informed that it would cost $100.15 to send it back home, as it weighed nearly 11 kg. I paid this, having investigated the cost of sending it other ways, none of which proved to be much cheaper. However, just after I got back to the flat I remembered Em's kind offer to take it home for me, for free, when she went home in July - this would get it back a month sooner, and for free, but unfortunately I remembered this too late. After a fruitless quest for McDonalds (I desperately craved a massive coke), I settled down to wait for Em's return, and pondered leaving Sydney - apparently last night I promised that I would be back in Sydney within 12 months - I said something similar to Rob as well, albeit not so specific.


Anyway, Em came back, and told me how little she was suffering, as I sat bleary-eyed on the sofa fighting my unrelenting bastard for a while. Three o'clock rolled around and it was time to go. A sad farewell to wonderful Emily, and I was off. I was somewhat concerned about making my flight, as I was supposed to be there by 1545, and I didn't make it to the airport until nearly 4. This turned out to be no problem though, as due to mental weather in Melbourne all the flights were screwed up - mine was cancelled, and I eventually got into Melbourne at 2100, only three hours behind schedule, which is OK. Dave very kindly picked me up from the airport, and we cruised back to his for Rum and coke and some Trailer Park Boys on DVD. After he'd gone to bed, I ended up having a lengthy and entertaining chat with his housemate Pip about physics and acoustics and the like, which mainly served as an unsettling reminder of quite how much I have forgotten over the last year...

No comments: