Current Location: Just off Clapham Common, London

Tuesday, February 2, 2010

2 days in, no work done...

01/02 - The first day was very much as I predicted - got in in time for coffee at 4, having posted my keys back to Ed (I packed them by accident). I met a few friends from England at coffee and agreed to partake in a pub quiz after beers at 6. I went and signed some papers in the liaison office and was given a preemptive noise warning (apparently the Swiss are very conservative and ), had a meeting at 5 where I didn't have to do anything except nod and occasionally contribute vague questions, then flee to beers at 6 o'clock, where my potential fellow quizzers were. They fled to collect someone whose name I didn't catch, so I assumed I would meet them at the bus stop. I trudged through the 3 inches of snow that had fallen while I was indoors and hopped on the departing bus, only to realise there was noone I knew on it and that I would have to go home, google the pub, and dash there as fast as I could.

I ran/jogged to the pub from my flat, arriving at 8pm exactly to find a team of 6 (all of whom I had met before) and a team of 5 (all strangers) - Simon, a fellow I met on the Summer School, very kindly offered to switch so I could be on the team with people I knew. I felt rather childish about this, but accepted anyway. We didn't do that well in the quiz, coming 10th out of 14 and being beaten by the other CERN team (who came 6th and went on to win the bonus question jackpot!) but I seemed to impress with my quiz skills, as they insisted I be on their team again next week. On the way home I espied a set of shelves and some metal baskets on the next street over from my place, so I walked home with everyone else and then doubled back to collect them when they had gone inside - the shelves are a little rusty and have one wobbly wheel, but it wouldn't feel like home without at least one piece of knackered bin-furniture.

02/02 - Luker Bros. arrived with all my stuff at about half 9 in the morning. Having unloaded it all, I went down to investigate 'La Cave', to see where I could put my bike - it is a space in the basement in one of the creepiest rooms I have ever seen. There is a foot thick blast door leading to a concrete room filled with little slatted locked enclosures, each assigned to a different apartment in the building. Mine was about big enough for two coffins, I would say. I hung my bike on a hook and made my way out of there as soon as possible.

Most of the day was spent unpacking, I now have books on the shelves, clothes in the wardrobe, crockery in the cupboards, a wireless network and surround sound. I feel much more at home, all I need now is some drawers and a hatstand. Unpacking took the majority of the afternoon, after which I made an ultimately useless trip to the Apple Store and the coop, which shuts at seven (and this is considered late! This may take some getting used to).

I cooked Nasi Goreng for Dan and James, although I forgot to buy any eggs so we only had one between three, which was rather insufficient. Dan had booked himself onto a night shift from 11-7, so he ate and ran, whereas James and I watched Coraline (wierd, creepy but really enjoyable) and had a few beers. The kitchen is just big enough to cook in - I had to chop things on the dining table, and the rice cooker was on the floor next to the TV, but I think it'll be fine.

Oh, I forgot one more thing - I have attached some pictures of the flat as it was when I moved in, if anyone is interested.


...the kitchen,

...the bedroom,

...the view towards the mountains,

...and the living room (which is also the bedroom).

No comments: