Current Location: Just off Clapham Common, London

Thursday, February 25, 2010

Imaginary insult, crap pizza and good ravioli

24/02 - I am struggling a little to recall the events of yesterday. I know I went to a couple of talks in the morning, and I went for lunch with Matt Tamsett and a few other RHUL people and had a soggy and disappointing pizza. The afternoon trundled along, and I discovered that Tanya was having a birthday meal at La Trattoria in town. At first I felt a little insulted that I hadn't been invited, but then I saw the email which was sent to about 30 people, and realised that as I am new here noone knows my email address yet. At 6 I went down to R1 to have a drink and see if there was anyone I knew down there, and soon after my arrival Tanya and Paul arrived with a massive home made Tiramisu (courtesy of Paul) and a big tarte au citron, both of which were delicious. Dinner was a bit of a faff, as she had booked a table for 20 and more than 25 people turned up, so a lot of squashing and rearranging was done, but we all fitted in.

Out of our table of 15 people, 11 rather predictably had the penne siciliana - fast becoming the national dish of Geneva in my mind. I had gorgonzola ravioli, which was delicious and rich but rather full of spinach. Tanya seemed to have a great time, they were all going on to La Galerie (a student-run/squat bar round the corner which I have been informed does very cheap drinks, as all the staff are volunteers) but I instead opted to pop home - it was 10pm, and I had a few dull things to do (again). I opted to do it tonight as I have fondue tomorrow with a few people, and I have no idea when it will finish - also I am getting even worse at getting up in the morning after drinking.

When I got back I talked to Kelly and found that she was still ill - she and Ed had been to some of our friends' house for dinner, and Kelly had to have a lie down then get a taxi home, which sucks. I hope she's better by the weekend. I don't mind looking after her or anything, it just seems a pity to get a flight in order to be internationally unwell. I'll try to take it easy on the rich foods while she's here, but I'm not sure how feasible that is, as I don't have an oven and everywhere seems to either serve massive italian dishes, fondue, tartiflette or steak. Oh, I looked up the ingredients of tartiflette and they are as follows: Vacherin cheese, Gruyère cheese, single cream, bacon and sliced potatoes. Why aren't more Swiss people enormously fat?

No comments: