Current Location: Just off Clapham Common, London

Saturday, February 6, 2010

An undeserved hangover

05/02 - At 6 I went down to R1 to meet some people for beers, only to find that there was noone I knew there at all. Eventually some other people joined me, and a plan was hashed out - Jody was to lead us to a falafel place near Gare Cornavin, and then we would join two Irish guys (Dermot and Steve, I think) on a little pub crawl round Planpalais. I nipped home to drop my stuff off and avoided the falafel, picking up Dan on the way to meet Jody again - on our arrival we were led around the block by the Irish guys who, it transpired, had no idea where we were going. We eventually settled on a pub called L'Elephant Dans La Cannette, a studenty place which sold Delirium Tremens, a 10% Belgian beer which is named after an "acute episode of delirium that is usually caused by withdrawal from alcohol". I had a normal pint and one of those before deciding grumpily that I was tired and wasn't having much fun, so I ditched and headed home.

On my arrival back at the flat I heard some commotion coming from one of the windows - I recognised Arlo, a chap I met at summer school, and shouted to him. He told me to come up to studio 13, where I found a load of people I knew getting ready for a night out at Club Platinum, some swanky expensive place. I was given a vodka and coke and Tanya regaled her friend Mike with the tale of how the girls at summer school had decided that I was one of the most attractive people there - quite what he was meant to make of this I don't know, it was rather embarrassing and she eventually stopped when I pointed this out. I learnt that they were all planning to go skiing on Sunday at Les Contamines, which is perfect for a beginner like me, so I asked one of them to let me know when they were going and I'd get the bus. They dashed off to the club, while I went to bed despite their best efforts to get me to come along.

06/02 - Now, when I got upstairs the incredibly strong vodka kicked in, and I found myself getting increasingly drunk while in bed, meaning I ended up not sleeping until about 5, and waking up at 8 with an enormous headache and no painkillers in the house. I hid under the duvet until 1, when I felt ready to face the world - after searching in vain for my laundry card for half an hour, I walked to Rive to buy some boots, which was ultimately a fruitless mission. Instead I walked along the lake and ended up in Manor, the massive department store, where I blew CHF 50 on wines and treats (and loo roll, less glamourous).

When I got home I talked to Jody and found that Paul and co. had saved me a place in their car, and would be coming to pick me up at 0740 in the morning! Very generous of them, I'm very pleased I don't have to get the bus up there, this'll be much better (as long as they can put up with me being a total beginner). I should probably eat and go to bed soon, as it's 10 and I have to be up at half 6 or so.

No comments: