Current Location: Just off Clapham Common, London

Thursday, April 8, 2010

Back to Geneva, CERN is deserted...


06/04 - Kelly and I were up at 7, and went downstairs to find an unexpected Jim Byrne in the kitchen, who had apparently turned up about 10 minutes after we went to bed (he may be in town to participate in a trial of an anti-cancer drug, but he is not definitely eligible). We got a taxi to Paddington at 0745, dropping Kelly off on the way. It has been wonderful being at home/in Yorkshire with her for the last 10 days, although a downside is that it makes it much harder to part than if it had just been a weekend. Oh well, less than two weeks until she's out in Geneva next, so it's not so bad. Even with checking in baggage, I had an hour to spare at the airport (I need to get better at this), and got to my desk at 1320 GVA time (4 1/2 hours door to door - I reckon I can get it down to 3:45).

There was nobody about in the office, as everyone else seems to have taken the week off. I hung around until about 6, mainly writing up the last few days on here, then went home, dumped my bags, threw out the more unpleasant items I had left in the fridge and promptly dozed off until Zack rang me to see how I was, and I ended up going over to his house for pizza. I brought them some Kinder eggs as an easter gift, as it was all I had in the house. Masa has not yet had their son, although apparently last Thursday was the expected due date so she is massive and a little impatient to have him. We watched a bit of The West Wing and I had to explain the LHC to a Croation friend of Masa's, during which I think I lied/made things up a bit. I cycled back home, which took about 5 minutes, and had taken about 90 seconds on the way down. I am not walking anywhere ever again.

07/04 - Today was productive but dull, and not worthy of more than a couple of lines (many of my days are like this during the week). I had a productive morning, by which I mean I got my laundry, another month's internet and travelcard before 10am. It was rainy but I had dressed for summer, there is still almost nobody about, and I spent most of the morning moving computers and screens to my new desk (formerly Teresa's), I had lunch alone and popped to the supermarket on my way home where I picked up some exciting things like a sieve and a measuring jug, then cooked a failure of a meal (meant to be pasta with chorizo and basil, but had no pasta left so it ended up as soggy fried rice). The rest of the evening was spent downloading and converting episodes of Lost and Naruto so I could watch them on my iPod. A dull day, as I said.

08/04 - I watched Lost on the tram on the way in, which put me in a bit of an odd mood. I had a meeting with Ricardo during which I completely forgot how to get hold of some plots I needed. I remembered as soon as the meeting was over. I had a massive tuna pizza, covered in tabasco, parmesan and chilli oil, after which I felt extremely dozy. I think that tonight I am not going to get up to much more than yesterday, as Birdie is coming out tomorrow and I need to clean my flat beforehand (although I doubt he'll really care). I tried to get some supplies yesterday, but ended up just getting some cheap red wine in - I have a massive drawer with about 13 bottles of wine in now, plus the bag-in-box from France. I really need to start actually drinking some.

Well I achieved that at least - since I wrote the above Dan, James and I got a Mike Wong's takeaway and came back to mine for dinner and some wine, and also they showed me a game called Dwarf Fortress which they have been playing while on shift. It looks worryingly addictive, so I am going to put off playing it for as long as possible.

No comments: