Current Location: Just off Clapham Common, London

Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Goodbye to Ed, and preparing to be nocturnal.


13/04
- I took Ed to the airport and headed to CERN, where I had meatballs for lunch and worked a bit, until about half 6. I popped along to the control room ro see if anything had changed since my shadow shift, had goat's cheese risotto and some sweet and sour prawns for dinner then I went to the first session of my French course at the École-Club Migros. We started off with restaurant French, which is probably the part I know best. I think I am at the right level, nobody seems to be much better than me. Not much else happened in the evening, to be honest - I came home and had the first proper chat with Kelly for a few days, which was a relief. I have my first night shift tomorrow night in the ATLAS control room, so I decided to see how late I could stay up, sleep all day tomorrow and hopefully get into a rhythm for the next few days. I kind of failed, I managed to watch four episodes of LOST before falling asleep at about half past four. They were pretty awesome, I am glad I have stuck with this for the last 113 episodes - only seven more left, I hope some of my questions are answered here.

14/04 - Well, I woke up at 1 o'clock (I'll close my blinds next time, whoops), spent a chunk of the day messing around with my computer, and went on a mission down to the Arve river to get sandwiches for tonight. I took my bike and found the ice hockey stadium and a load of bars and restaurants which I intend to check out properly at some point. Dan very kindly brought me a pizza for dinner, and I went and joined them for Zombieland, a mental film I saw a while ago which mainly involves Woody Harrelson beating the crap out of a load of the undead. I made it into CERN for 2245, found my card didn't work and had to get someone to let me in, and took over by 2250. I signed in, checked some stuff and waited for the first checklist to turn up - this didn't happen for about half an hour as I had forgotten to press the 'ready' button on the signing in box. Oops. I had a bit of a chat with Clare and Kelly, with them on video and me using gestures as I can't really be having an obvious chat while I'm on shift.

Oh, I was just having a look at facebook and found my mate Jan, who I stayed with on Koh Phi Phi in Thailand, and who now appears to have become a divemaster on the Gili Islands. Bastard. I am not even half way through this shift, bugger.

No comments: