Current Location: Just off Clapham Common, London

Monday, March 1, 2010

Sunday with Kelly and a sleepy Monday


28/02 - Kelly and I were up pretty late today, as we had nothing planned whatsoever. We walked down to the old town and went up the cathedral, which gave us some awesome views of the (somewhat overcast) city.

Lac Leman from the top of the cathedral

Our aim for the day was to find some lunch and take a boat across the lake, both of which we achieved - I was quite keen on fondue, Kelly less so - I took us out to Bains Des Pâquis anyway, where I had my best fondue so far, on the pretence that they would have other things and I could have a fondue for one. As it turned out, this was half true - they only serve fondue in the evenings, so we ended up sharing pumpkin soup with some cheeses, some viande sechée with pickles and some delicious terrine, all washed down with some casselas wine. I'm not entirely sure if that's what it was called, but it was a Swiss white, it was the cheapest and it was good. All this set us back €18 (I had forgotten to get any francs earlier) which is a bargain for Geneva. On our walk back there was a crazy rainstorm, so the walk quickly became a bus ride.

Cheap and delicious lunch

In the evening we hung out at the flat and got hold of a couple of films to watch. Kelly had cereal for dinner (her choice) and immediately felt rather ill again, so after I fussed over her a bit we settled down on the sofa and put on her choice, The Road. This was a terrible idea - incredibly bleak, full of death and dark flashbacks - we got as far as the point where they find a basement and are attacked by emaciated naked apocalypse survivors (who were being farmed for meat by cannibals) before Kelly shouted "goldfish princess!" from under the duvet. This slightly odd exclamation referred to my choice of film, the studio Ghibli film Ponyo, an animated film which is vaguely based on The Little Mermaid, but cuter and set in Japan. This film is, as far as I can tell, the opposite of The Road, and went some way to undoing the damage caused by the previous film, although we both had to make a conscious effort not to think about the last image we saw before I turned the latter off.

01/03 - Kelly had to be up at 0445 to make her 7 o'clock flight, so I walked her downstairs in spite of her protests, but then went back to bed for a long time. A little too long in fact, in that I overslept enormously, but somehow I managed to blag my way through my meetings - the first of which I was the only person to connect from CERN, so I had to take notes and that made me feel productive. I left just in time to get the bus to Forumeyrin in order to make the supermarket before it closed at 7. The fruits of this were a steak sandwich (sunflower seed bread, café de paris butter, rare entrecôte, grated comté, another steak layer, another cheese layer, more butter and bread) which was amazing, and finished off my day. I miss Kelly a lot more today than I did last time we parted, probably because now she's been in the flat it feels empty without her.

No comments: