Current Location: Just off Clapham Common, London

Saturday, October 13, 2007

Day 3 - Kyoto

Domo-Origato-Kasaii-Mas!!!

I know my spelling sucks. That supposedly means thank you very much, by the way. Last night I went to bed at about 2, but didn't get to sleep until about 6 am. Everyone else stayed up until then anyway, so I wasn't too receptive when Les came in to wake me at 8. Jonathan, Leona, Laura and I eventually got off at about 12:30, and got a train to Kyoto, then a bus to the Golden Temple (Kinkaku-Ji) and wandered around. It seemed like it would have been a pretty relaxing place if it hadn't been for the huge crowds of Korean schoolkids.

The pictures to the right show Leona and I, failing to look at the camera at the same time. We rang Les to find out where she was, thought she was coming to where we were, and found out after waiting for ages that she was at Ginkaku-Ji, the Silver temple. Oops. We finally met up with her and her parents around the centre of Kyoto, where we eventually went for a thai meal, very kindly paid for by Mr. Ballantyne. On the way back Les and I dozed off on the train (right), as we were both exhausted and I haven't really slept properly since wednesday. Also, Laura said it took her two weeks to get used to the time difference, which doesn't bode well...

We were planning to play Pachinko when we returned, but everywhere was closed. While this doesn't seem like a very exciting day, it was pretty cool, saw a new city, hung out with some new people etc. The only problem was that I failed to have any Ramen, but I don't have to go to the airport until 12 tomorrow, so there's still time.

Also, I can't get the formatting of this right in any way, but I'm being boring in Laura's room while everyone else is in the living room next door, so I give up.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello Matt, found your blog whatever, read it backwards before realising which day to start at! Glad you have found Les, good pictures, not surprised you got the temples wrong with only one letter different.

Just collected Hannah's Ka from the valeter, they've done a great job, looks good enough to buy!

Seems funny talking to you so far away, but doubtless I will get used to it, love mum xxox

clareprose said...

formatting looks fine, the picture are uniform and in a nice place, i would be happy with that.
you are only confirming what i said about travelling being tiring.. go to korea and have a nice nap.
have you worn anything other than your geeky japanese tshirt since arriving in japan? i hope not.
nothing too interesting has happened today. i was going to go to tate britain but i walked as far as london bridge and was so sleepy i had to sit down for a little bit before coming home and having a two hour nap. there was a silent disco flash mob at tate modern last night, we went along and watching, lots of people in funny hats shouting, seemed like quite a laugh but we were hungry and i haven't put any music on my ipod yet, so came home and had pizza.
am heading back to somerset tomorrow for hannah's birthday, which should be fun.. ahh. tortles.
hope you have fun for the time period after you read this comment. love you xxx