Current Location: Just off Clapham Common, London

Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Day 141/2 - Umm, Samui again, and a bad drinking decision.

Getting the tickets for the train has proved to be a bit awkward - I have to leave at 12 tomorrow, get a ferry and a taxi and arrive at Suratthani Station around 6, then wait around until 2 am for my train to Sungai Kolok, cross the border about noon, and make my own way to the Perhentian Islands- should be fine. Yesterday I minced around on the internet waiting for my (very late) ferry to Samui. I met some English guys on the boat, and after I had found somewhere to stay - this involved walking around in the almost monsoon rain for 20 minutes being turned down because everywhere was full or 50 quid a night. I found a place at Lucky Mother Bungalows, where the lady quoted me 1200 Baht for their only available room, then, upon seeing my crestfallen and sodden face, bargained herself down to 800 without me having to say a word!

I met up with said English guys at Ark Bar for a drink, which turned into a couple of buckets. I thought I was fine, but as I don't remember walking home, I assume this is not the case. Lucky Mother should really be called the Flightpath Hotel, as it seemed like the planes were flying through my room this morning - and there was one at least every 20 minutes, I reckon - which didn't help my pounding head - Sangsom buckets are to be avoided from now on, shouldn't be difficult in Muslim Malaysia. Today I treated myself to a Burger King breakfast, which I swore oly to do when very hungover. I also did the cheesy souvenir shopping I wanted - I am now in possession of a big red Thailand towel, a red Singha vest (as Rob said, if you're going to get these things you might as well be as bogan as possible - yes, Aussies really do say bogan, not just the Timmins family), and a yellow King shirt. Awesome. I'm off to await the first stage of my 28 hour journey, and find some water too. Blargh, feel awful.

No comments: