Current Location: Just off Clapham Common, London

Thursday, March 13, 2008

Day 150 - Hills, Canopies, Buses & Trains

The others all left this morning, leaving me alone again - I went off into the jungle around half 11, wearing boots that fit, which felt wonderful. The walk was hot and sticky, & I passed various placards telling me about the flora and fauna of the Taman Negara. I saw precious little fauna, apart from some small Wild Boar, a Squirrel and what I thought was a Skink. I saw plenty of interesting plants though, including loads of really ornate Liana vines, coiling round everything in sight. Due to a wrong turn I accidentally climbed to the top of Bukit Terisek (Terisek Hill), which exhausted me, as it was far steeper than I was prepared for - the views from 344 m up were, I think, worth it. I headed back down & eventually found the walkway, although just as I got on it began pissing down. The walkways a re really thin, only about a foot wide, & really bouncy too. I think the highest one is about 45 m off the forest floor, which was a little worrying until I saw a family with tiny kids walking behind me. The rain persisted for the exact length of time it took me to get to the end of the walkway, annoyingly. The journey back was cool as I had the entire route to myself, everyone else sheltering at one end or the other. I got back, checked out, and got a ticket for the bus to Jerantut, where I'll hopefully get the 0026 train to KL, where I'll stay for at least 2 nights, taking me to the 17th before I get t0 Singapore - I think I'll have to change my flight back to the 22nd to give me a chance to see the place, if only I could get through to Qantas...


-----------------------------------------


Well, I spent the afternoon reading, got a bus to Jerantut and waited around for ages. I went to the food stalls and had at least 10 chicken and beef satay sticks, and something delicious, meaty and fried. I met three cool mancunian girls while I was waiting, who are going to KL as well (and said the Jungle Railway was a big disappointment). We ended up waiting until 0130, having been informed that we couldn't buy tickets at the station as the train was fully booked - meaning when we got on there were no sleeper bunks, no seats, and nowhere whatsoever for us to sleep. We ended up finding two seats together in which Helen and I slept, while Tilly and Alex curled up in a ball by the doors and tried to sleep, and apparently failed. Three hours later we switched, however I couldn't fit in the gap they'd been sleeping in so I found another place to sleep for a bit, then woke Helen up when some more became available.

No comments: