Current Location: Just off Clapham Common, London

Friday, March 14, 2008

Day 151 - Kuala Lumpur!

We got into KL Sentral two hours late, got a Taxi to Chinatown and found a 4 bed room in the Backpackers Inn. After the most refreshing shower in the world, we headed out for breakfast and an adventure, heading to KL Tower (the 4th largest communication tower in the world, apparently), which gave us amazing views of the city - it's far more green than any other Asian city I've been to, with far less squalid cramped areas (as far as I could see) - although my camera ran out after I'd been at the top for about 10 minutes. I got the (mercifully air-conditioned) subway back to Chinatown and have been taking advantage of the Wi-Fi, and the fact that it's raining outside, for quite a while now. I am confirmed on Qantas flight Q76 from Singapore to Bali at 2035 on the 18th, although I might try to change this if possible, even if it does take 10 minutes on hold before you get through. The girls have found that they can't change their flights, despite what STA claimed when they sold them the tickets, so they're going to be around until the 19th, mostly in Singapore I think.

We headed out for a drink at Reggae Pub via the market on Petaling Street - I ended up with some new Wayfarers ("original copy", according to the grinning vendor), a little tripod, two padlocks and a pocket watch with Chairman Mao on it - it was that or the Kaaba and Mecca, and I made a panic choice. We were in bed by 0030, Reggae Pub was OK, just a cramped bar full of westerners, and some (one especially) beautiful Malay girls too. This city's a really thorough mix of Malay, Chinese and Indian people - although we were staying in Chinatown, next to Little India, so maybe the mix isn't so thorough elsewhere.

No comments: