Current Location: Just off Clapham Common, London

Monday, December 17, 2007

Day 67 - Jason's last night

Just after I wrote yesterday's entry, I went to bed for a nap at 9 ish, and slept for a full 14 hours, thereby missing the Aussies' departure, and a large chunk of my Monday. That was NOT a productive day. The evening, on the other hand, was quite a different story. I went for an early dinner with Jason, at a nearby Sushi place, during which we brokered a deal - I would come to Roppongi (the nightlife district) with him no matter what happened, and he would pay for my meal. The meal was awesome, we had some more belly tuna, and bearded clams and all sorts of other wierd stuff. We gathered quite a posse together - Me, Jason, Alex, Kal, John (English), Erin (French) and Shan Wong (sic - Korean). We went to Gaspanic club to begin with, after which everyone exccept me, jason and Shan went home on the last subway, which is rubbish. We went to an arcade and played on a drumming game and a bit of dance dance revolution, which I won! I should point out, this means I beat an asian at DDR, which almost never happens.

As we wandered the streets looking for a "bar full of Japanese" as per Jason's requests, we met a guy leaving a bar who seemed to speak good english, so we asked his advice. this led to a lengthy and baffling journey round the area, culminating in us finding a bar on the third floor of what may have been an apartment block, with a locked door, owned by his mate. This being Roppongi, we figured we were about to either (a) get screwed over with really pricey drinks, or (b) find ourselves in a hostess bar/brothel with no way out. As it turned out, neither of these were the casde - it was just a quiet little bar, with good drinks - the guys who had taken us there both worked in advertising, and their old schoolfriend owned the place. We chatted for a while, and had the two drinks we had agreed on, and then Moto (the older of the two guys) paid for it all! Th8is was an unexpected treat, to get free drinks in the most notoriously dodgy area of Tokyo after Shinjuku. We then went to a bar with a name along the lines of 'spunky event', where we met two Aussies and a Japanese guy, who took us to another bar along the street. For some reason jason then engaged the Japanese guy on the subject of collectivist versus individualist culture. As dawn rolled around, we headed back to the Hostel and the Aussies went to an Onsen, supposedly for a sleep - this wasn't the case, I later found out.

Oh, also I had a chat with Mum and my sisters - my Christmas parcel arrived early, so they rang to ask if they could open it. I allowed them to open a bit, and taught them how to say thanks very much in Japanese. It was really nice to talk to them all at once, and it made me feel a bit homesick - I'm sure this will subside a little when I'm with Kate in the sun.

No comments: