Current Location: Just off Clapham Common, London

Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Day 28 - Itaewon and Henry's fear...

Today we had to move out of Kim's again, as I felt it would be good for Pat to see another side of Seoul. In the evening we went to Itaewon, the slightly seedy district near the US Army bases, which is full of a combination of westerners and bars designed for westerners. We met Leo, Jim and Henry's friend Hans for a drink, and went and played some pool in Spy Bar, although on the way there Jim and Pat suggested we go to a bar in a likely looking street, however I noticed that the establishments were called reBall, Queens and Toujours Hommes, which I remembered from an article I had read about the burgeoning gay scene in Itaewon. We turned round and found ourselves on "Hooker Hill", which we promptly exited. I must say I wasn't a fan of Itaewon, it was sort of like a grimy, run-down version of SoHo, and I don't think we'll be visiting again.

Oh, also loads of Bars and Clubs around where we were staying have banned american G.I.s from entering due to the trouble they cause, so you can imagaine what Itaewon, which is overflowing with them, is like. Not a nice atmosphere.

On a lighter (for me, anyway) note, Henry has aquired a stalker at his training accomodation. I'll let him tell the story:

"Right some more random news, very random and a little freaky. I'm writing
this at 1am after a strange series of events. I'm (Henry) currently staying in a
hotel room on my own for my training. Whilst going to my room I said hello to
this guy in the lift who asked me where i was from. Naturally I obliged and then
returned the question. He was from Indonesia and spoke very little
english. Almost straight afterward as I was getting out of the lift he asked me
what my room number was which seemed a little strange at the time but I though
nothing of it. About 10-15 mins later my doorbell goes. It's him. "Hello". Of
course I greet him and he asks if he can come in, naturally not wanting to seem
rude I invited him in. He did seem very friendly. We tried to have a
conversation but his english was very bad and my Indonesian was limited to 3
words. It was pretty awkward, for me at least.We were just sat on a bed in a
relatively small room. We didn't get very far and mostly echanged names and
where we are from and even that was difficult. Plenty of awkward silences. After
a while I tried to tell him that I have to study now and make some phone calls.


He then asked me if he could just stay. I wasn't exactly keen. I was just hoping
to chill out on my own and watch tv, not have some random stranger who spoke
almost no english and just sat there staring at me in my roomI eventually
managed to get him to understand that I needed to do stuff and that he had to
leave but I said he could come back later. That he did.He first came down at
about 9.30pm. I could see that it was him at the door cos there is a camera
linked to and lcd display in my room. Although it was rude i decided to ignore
him. I just couldn't face the weird situation again plus I was still studying.
After ringing the bell 3 times he gave up and I saw him walk off. Of course 20
mins later he comes back. I figured if I didn't answer he would think I was out.
He dissappeared after 3 rings. About 3 minutes after he goes the bloody phone in
my room starts going! I assumed it was him and let it ring out. It then rings
again. I let it ring out. And again.Another 20 minutes or so pass and the door
bell goes. I look at the monitor but can't really see anyone. I then look closer
and spot an arm. He was hiding against the wall so he couldn't be seen! I think
he thought it was the only way he get me to answer.This was now getting a little
too strange. After a few rings he retreats. Of course the phone then goes again
and again and again.By this point it is about 10.45 and i'd had enough. The door
bell was far too many decibels and the phone was worse so I just pulled the
phone cable out.

Not long after this i can still here a sodding phone ringing.
After investigation I discovered that there is one rigged up in the bathroom
which couldn't be disconnected. He kept bloody calling at regular intervals for
ages. Eventually, about 10 minutes ago which was 12.50am I answered the phone.
Who knows. It could be someone else."Hello. I am your friend. Remember. Your my
new friend!" To which I politely reply and point out that I am trying to sleep.
He then asks if he can come down to the room to which i said no and further
explain that I need some sleep. He understands this but still asks if he can
come down. I quite clearly say no.2 minutes later the mother fucking door bell
starts going. I should point out then when it rings it lets off 3 very loud
beeping noises. He was pressing it many times. I tried to work the video
intercom to say go away but as all the buttons are in Korean I just set off a
load of alarms and louder noises.After his persistent ringing and my frantic
button pressing I went to the door and just told him that I was trying to sleep,
still keeping my cool. He asks to come in to which I politely decline again. "I
need sleep, I am sleeping!".Now here is where it get even stranger. He just
tells me that he has no friend in his room to which I said perhaps we can do
something tommorow and I can introduce you to some people. He then asks me if he
can come and sleep in my room! Now i'm pretty sure that's not normal behaviour
for complete strangers. I just said no and shut the door.I should also point out
that I asscertained from our odd conversation that he is 33 so it's not like
he's a youngster.Anyhow sorry for the enormous essay like account of my strange
encounter. i just needed to share it. I am still worried that he will be coming
back tommorow. What do I do? Any suggestions?"

No comments: