Current Location: Just off Clapham Common, London

Friday, November 23, 2007

Day 43/44 - My first Thanksgiving!

Yesterday was apparently thanksgiving, so all the remaining Nova teachers, American or otherwise, attended a celebration at (Les's boyfriend) Bill's flat. It's a tiny little flat, which had 19 people rammed into it for an evening of gorging. We enquired about the purpose of the holiday, and couldn't glean much more than eating. The menu was impressively large and diverse, containing:
  • Bread
  • Popcorn
  • Sweet Bread Rolls
  • Corn Bread
  • Peas
  • Sweetcorn
  • Green Beans
  • 2 types of Macaroni Cheese Pie
  • Pasta Salad
  • Green Salad
  • Cooked Onions
  • Cheese Slices
  • Chicken Pieces
  • Ham Slices
  • Mashed Potato
  • Candied Yams
  • Carrot Cake
  • Apple Crumble
  • Custard
  • Crisps Galore

All this was accompanied by Beer & Chu-hi (my offerings) and various other boozes. I was stuffed within about 20 minutes, as were a lot of the attendees, but we all proceeded to eat until there was simply no more room in us, which was about 8 o'clock (it felt like about midnight, it gets dark confusingly early here). We sat and chatted for hours, and I met Owen (Bristol) who said he might be up for seeing some sights when his sister arrives on saturday, so I may have someone to go touristing with. Also a girl called Claire gave me lots of tips on stuff to do here/Tokyo/New York, with the help of the Hostess, Emily, on the latter.

I ended up cycling home on Les's pink Ci-Vada, which was exhausting, and thus (probably also as a result of the immense amount of food and drink that was ingested) I slept for an enormous amount of time, having some of the oddest dreams I can remember. Consequently today has been a little wasted, I'm hoping to go out in a minute and investigate what this area has to offer - after a little research, it seems that the highlight of Kita-Tatsumi is the Ramen place which is directly below this building. Also I must find an internet place to put some of my pictures up from Henry and my adventures.

No comments: