Current Location: Just off Clapham Common, London

Saturday, January 19, 2008

Day 94-96 - Back to Bangkok, and Hospitals

Day 94 (Thursday 17th) - To Bangkok!


We got up late and wandered Vientiane for a little while, although I mainly sat on the Internet as my foot was feeling pretty bad, I could hardly walk in fact. The Border crossing to Thailand was relatively uneventful, we played guess the ladyboy for a bit and I sat next to a french girl who cheerily told us she had acute food poisoning and was in real peril while on the bus. We caught the train from Nong Khai for the 12 hour Journey, and had a beer and played word games as I seem to have misplaced my playing cards. Rob and I watched Planet Earth on my laptop for a bit with the "Beer! Coffee!" seller, while Dave had a Velium (asked for Valium, was assured this was "same same but different" - seemed to work OK).


Day 95 (Friday 18th) - Shopping Trip


We arrived in Bangkok at 6:30 am, and promptly headed to Khao San Road to try and book into Rob's Hotel, then went for breakfast. It was still only 7:30, yet there were a load of English guys drinking beer and playing pool and generally being rowdy and letting the side down. After breakfast we went to the Adventist Mission Hospital to get Dave's stitches checked, and also my foot. Dr Elvie Villanueva proceeded to dig around in my foot with scissors and no anaesthetic, proclaim it to be rather inflamed, and sent me off for an injection which turned out to be a half hour drip of Rocephin! We eventually made it out of there and went to the MBK mall and Siam Paragon to get tickets for the Culture One Dance festival tomorrow night, and look around suits etc. for the guys. We spent ages in Hugo Boss, the place is amazing, it has a blokes' floor filled with gadgets, cars, suits etc. in which one could spend days. We came back in a Tuk-tuk, went for dinner and found Jim, played spot the sex tourist (1 pt for guy and a girl, 3 for guy-guy, 5 for guy-ladyboy), then went to the Cave bar, which has an indoor climbing wall and dancing girls in the smallest shorts we have ever seen, and The Club in which we met some girls from Staines and I felt ill, probably due to drinking on the antibiotics (although the nurse said it was fine).


Day 96 (Saturday 19th) - Culture One!


I went to the Doctors again, had another rough clean and Rocephin drip (this has cost me about £100 so far, I hope my insurance covers it). I went to Chatuchak market, failed to find the others, but bought some wicked t-shirts from the same store we saw at MBK. We met back at the hotel to get ready for the Festival, where Rob and Dave showed off some fine patchwork singlets, of which they happened to have a spare... The festival was AWESOME. We played the rejection game, and within 10 minutes Rob had a tiny Thai girl on his shoulders, allegedly called pussycat. We met loads of cool people, from all over the place, helped largely by the singlets. The Stanton warriors were good, David Morales was OK, if a little bizarre and weepy during his thank you speech at the end. I met the second girl from the rejection game again... there were problems at the end as we tried to find each other, then we met a load of teachers from the south and shared cabs back to Khao San, with 6 people in 1 cab, and went for the best Subway ever before heading home and laughing in bed at the awesomeness of the night.

No comments: