Current Location: Just off Clapham Common, London

Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Day 99 - MORE shopping, and a tumultuous last night

I woke up having had almost no sleep, as I had been coughing all night for some reason. Having decided to take it easy, today was yet another day of shopping, although more for the others than for me. Rob and I went to MBK again and met Dave and Sally there, it was an uneventful trip apart from one rather awesome treat - Dave snuck off for a while, and came back with presents for Rob and I - badges reading "Sorry Girls" (see the Vang Vieng pictures for some sort of explanation) which we both are sporting proudly on our Japanese man bags. Yes, you read that right. We got a Tuk-tuk back to Khao San, and the driver got lost along the way, meaning that a tiresome journey became almost unbearable. I also received a present from Rob, which is a t-shirt which says "a city built on rick 'n' roll would be structurally unsound", which I saw the other day and had been searching for ever since. What awesome chaps, I haven't got them anything yet, I've decided to pick up something on my way to Melbourne/ Sydney.
After meeting the girls on the roof we went for a final dinner with Jane (the Thai girl Rob met at Spicy) at O! Hungry - Sally and Jane get on incredibly well, which is really awesome. We went to a bar called Gulliver's at the end of the road, where everyone except me got pretty wasted - due to my lack of sleep and some mild illness I was feeling pretty crap, and actually snuck off for a 20 minute nap at midnight, before doing the fastest ever sleep-dancefloor turnaround in history; under 5 minutes I believe. Rob and Hannah hooked up, meaning that occasionally it was two couples and then Sally and I, which can't have been much fun for her while I was in my exhausted state. Dave and Hannah disappeared for a while, as did Rob and Jane, leaving Sally and I up on the roof talking and trying not to speculate upon what was going on, but this was fine as afterwards we all sat in our room writing long lists of music/films/stuff that we should all get hold of before we see each other again, until Rob left at 5 this morning, leaving us with a whole 6 hours before we had to get up, check out and check me into my (depressingly) single room.

I'm close to feeling terribly sad about having to meet new people again, as it's a scary day or two when you're on your own. It's also sort of exhilarating in a way, and all will be well as long as I resist the temptation to do what I did last time I was lonely in Bangkok, and book flights home... I now have to book things (I think I'm going to Phi Phi tomorrow night to go diving), pack things (I seem to have acquired more t-shirts than I can remember buying) and post things to Australia (as I will have no need for jeans or jumpers for a while), all of which is terribly tiresome, especially since Emily has not yet replied to my request for her address. I could worry about all this, but instead I am going to go and sit in the sun, as I haven't really slept for a few nights, and am in need of some rest.

No comments: