Current Location: Just off Clapham Common, London

Monday, January 21, 2008

Day 97/8 - Shopping, Clubs and Garages

Day 97 (Sunday 20th) - Markets, Ping Pong and Spicy

After a slow start to the day, we met Jim, Sally and a girl called Hannah (who went to exeter, and knows John the Viking) at Chatuchak, where I bought an awesome cowboy shirt and a hammock, both red, and Rob bought another shedload of various goods. We went for an Indian to celebrate Jim's birthday, after which we failed to persuade the girls to go to Bed Supper Club, which I failed to go to when I was in Bangkok before. Instead, after some deliberation, it was decided we should go to Patpong and see a Ping-Pong show (the girls' idea, I might add). We fitted 6 people in a taxi again, which took us to a dodgy backstreet, so we made a sharp exit and headed to Patpong proper. We were taken to a club called, subtly, Super Pussy, which was horrendous, even by Patpong standards. We went to another slightly less nasty one, where we witnessed various ladies, all of whom were older than expected and looked incredibly bored doing various somewhat unspeakable acts - in summary, darts in the ceiling, eggs, bottles, flowers, ping pong balls, needles, and ropes.

We headed up the next street, apparently known as Ladyboy Street, where Sally's dad's bar is, then took a Tuk tuk to Spicy, one of a few after hours clubs in this city. The Tuk-tuk ride was the best I have ever had, and involved the guy pulling wheelies with Rob, Dave and I in the back (Jim and Hannah have photos, which will follow soon). Spicy was dead but filled up pretty soon, we had a pretty good time and met some cool people, especially Rob who met an incredibly gorgeous Thai girl called Jane. I was chatting to someone when I felt a rather invasive hand grabbing me. I turned round to see someone in a Red and White stripy dress who I had admired from across the club earlier, who had hold of me... and was clearly, if not now than at some point in her life, a man. I spluttered and ran, and when pressed on why I had been mildly ogling her earlier I may have uttered the immortal line "Well, she had pretty good boobs... for a dude". After all this nonsense, Dave and I caught a cab home via McDonalds, got in at 4 am, and haven't yet seen Rob...

Day 98 (Monday 21st) - Poolside chats and odd Bars

We didn't see Rob until 11, just after I got a call from Jane asking if he'd made it home safely. Today was spent by the pool, as we were all far too exhausted after yesterday's baking heat and shenanigans. Jane came over after work (she teaches acting), and Hannah's friend Thea has also arrived, so beers and chatting in the sun were the order of the day, until sunset (obviously, I suppose). We gave Jim his birthday present, which he seemed pretty happy about - it was a black and white print of monks at Angkhor Wat, with the robes in vibrant orange. We went for dinner at a noodle stall on Soi Rambutree, staffed by a crazy lady and her Mum, before going for buckets at The Station - this is a Shell garage by day, bar by night, complete with candles, and ashtrays (see the Culture One/Bangkok). The girls went for a massage and I met Sally later and went to try and find Rob and the others with little success, and ended up talking to her about various aspects of her life (including being in a fitness competition which involved close scrutiny of her body symmetry in the bikini round - she came second) up on the roof for hours - I think I know more about Sally than I do about myself now. Jim has departed back to England now, the first one to leave - Rob is off on Wednesday morning, the girls on Wednesday at some point, and Dave on Thursday morning. I'm going to be really sad to see them all leave, it's been really cool hanging out with these guys; having said that, I'm going to stay with Rob and Dave in Australia anyway, so it won't be too long. Now all I have to do is make some plans...

No comments: