Current Location: Just off Clapham Common, London

Thursday, February 21, 2008

Day 128/9 - Happy Birthday Caitlin and Sian, & Phangan Nonsense

Day 128 (Wednesday 20th) - Debauchery...

I was awoken today by a vaguely familiar voice asking where her bra was - Jan's friend Julie hd walked ito my dorm room, and requested the whereabouts of someone whose name I didn't know, as she couldn't find her bra. This someone was the same one she had been dancing with last night, so I can only assume thngs went well for them. I also looked across the room to see a grinning long-haired Thai guy wrapped around a Swedish girl a few beds over - what a saucy dorm.

I packed and took my stuff off to the Dive shop, and just kind of hung around a bit, wandering the island until 1 when Druce and Will were finished with their confined water training. We went for a farewell beer, then I hopped on the Ferry to Krabi, to find myself sitting next to the same Julie. She had a DVD player, and we watched Good Luck Chuck - nonsense, but had lots of boobs and Jessica Alba in it - sadly not at the same time though.

The bus ride to Surat Thani was uneventful, just a bit cramped and hot - the "Air-Con" claim was spurious. I met some english guys on the bus to the pier, called Henry and Jamie, who are on a gap year having just finished their IB in Spain. Nice enough guys, we had a beer and discussed how horrible English people abroad can be - they live near Marbella, so they have planty of experience. There was a group of 9 or so english behind us who had been getting wasted since they got o the ferry, so they were a good 9 hours in by now. They were going to Koh Samui though, so we didn't have to share our cramped sleeping quarters with them. Said sleeping quarters were thin mattresses lined up against the wall of the boat, which had a ceiling 5 ft high. I say mattresses, it was really just one enormous mattress, with numbers on the wall every 2 or 3 ft showing which bit was was which. We had pillows though, which was better than I was expecting. The journey took 7 hours, durig which time we traded various stories (mostly about playing connect 4 with prostitutes - no innuendo there, just something we had all done) before getting a surpisingly good night's sleep.

Day 129 (Thursday 21st) - ... and Debacles

On arrival at 6:20 we headed straight down to Leela beach, after confirming what we already knew - that accomodation was pretty thin on the ground. We had to wait around for a while for reception to open, so we went around the corner to Lighthouse Bungalows (full) and watched the sun rise for a bit. On our return the guy said they had three bungalows available (just what I needed), but on closer inspection it turned out that one had a balcony you couldn't go onto, and one had a family of bate sliving inside, so I gave one of them to Jamie and Henry, who offered to keep the other one 'til I called them, which was very generous of them.

One thing we noticed at Coco Huts (full) was that there were posters about saying "FULL MOON PARTY POSTPONED UNTIL 24TH FEBRUARY" due to elections or something. This, obviously, is a problem, especially for those coming down for the weekend only. I tried to phone Marie and co. to tell them and see what we should do, but no answer. I walked over the hill to Haad Rin, asked at a few places (all full) and then got a Songthaew in the direction of Thongsala pier. After a bit of negotiation (the driver had a place on Hat Yao, which is sort of miles away, but I don't think he had room for 6) I persuaded him to stop and check availability at all the bungalows, with no success.

I did however see that Two Rocks, where I spent a couple of weeks five years ago, is still there and thriving, while still being little and cool with loads of hammocks. If I get the chance I will go back there. I made it to Thongsala pier 4 hours after leaving here before, and finally got a call from Marie - her phone doesn't work on Tao, so she only just got a chance to call me - I had been trying her for 90 minutes or so. I told them the situation and it was decided I should go to Tao, which I am doing in about an hour, on the speedboat. I just hope they have better luck than me at finding somewhere to stay...

No comments: