Current Location: Just off Clapham Common, London

Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Day 135 - Motorbikes and Jetskis!

We have moved rooms now, to a triple, for which I am only paying 500 baht - these chaps are far too generous. I went out and hired a motorbike, after a little test run to see how I felt on one, as I hadn't driven one since my Koh Chang crash. We headed out for an awesome lunch (I had Mango and sticky rice for the first time - delicious) then drive up to the north of CHaweng beach, aiming to find some Paragliding/Jetski action. It was really windy on the beach, so it didn't look like either were an option, so we stopped off at Ark Bar for a drink and a couple of games of cards in the sun. Somehow it was already 5 o'clock when we saw that the Jetskis were in fact running, so we rushed over and each got 20 minutes on one of the smaller ones, for about £13 each. This turned out to be the best 800 baht I've spent since arriving in Thialand, the Jetskis were amazingly easy to drive, really responsive, and so much fun as you drove them into the waves, and dropped over the other side - literally dropped for a few feet through the air before slamming into the surf. We were riding in along the top of the waves, carving through gaps in between, and racing back towards shore - my top speed was 34 mph, Drucey's was 35. This incredible speed was somewhat terrifying on water, especially as the spray splashed into your face, blinding you for a few seconds each time. I took my underwater camera out with us, so hopefully I'll have some good pictures.

We headed back, enjoying the drive, then went out to the Thai boxing stadium - on the way there I had a McDonalds for the first time in two months, and I must say it didn't entirely agree with me - all this Thai food has altered my digestive system somewhat, I think. Anyway, the boxing was wierd, but cool. There were 6 fights in all, along with a tightrope walking kid and a bloke calling himself Rambo, who did various rope tricks as well. The fights were impressive, getting better as the night went on and the fighters got better. Afterwards the chaps headed home, and I went out to Ark Bar for a drink or two (I got a lift from Druce, no drink driving here) and then bumped into Jill again on my way home. We were on Soi Green Mango, and I was looking around at the ridiculous sights to be seen, when I spied a load of Ladyboys dancing together. Jill and her friend saw this, screamed "You like looking Ladyboy!" at me, and fell about in hysterics. Somewhat confused and humiliated, I headed off home. Tomorrow we're off back to Phangan, which'll be a hell of a change of pace from this place, and a welcome one too, although I have had a pretty fun time here.

No comments: