Current Location: Just off Clapham Common, London

Sunday, February 24, 2008

Day 132 - Full Moon

Somewhat unfortunately, the weather has turned to shit. It's been drizzling all day, giving the island a grey and oppressive air. We spent the day wandering about, not really achieving anything, watching preparations for tonight (We also watched the Family Guy Star Wars movie, which was awesome). Our one mission for the day was to buy glow paint, which we found on the first street we came to, so our purpose for the day was immediately removed. In the evening we went over to Leela, armed with our paint and brushes, and once we had found the others the painting began in earnest. For some reason it was decided that I was good at it, and I did Marie's feet, Mine & Christine's arms, and Ivan's back. I myself had very fetching stars all over my chest, some kind of monstery skull on my feet and a sunset on my back, as well as a pirate flag on my headband. It felt slightly odd walking through the restaurant shirtless and covered in paint, but I'm sure we weren't the first.


Once back on the main beach we armed ourselves with buckets and walked the length of the beach to Mellow Mountain Bar, under Pasi's direction, where we danced and marvelled at the glow paint under the UV light. We left there and attempted to walk back along the beach, but something had disagreed with Marie and I, and basically we both threw up within twenty minutes of each other, and had to sit down (we found a bar playing only Bob Dylan and Bob Marley for this) as we were both feeling wierd - "wasted, but not in a good way" was Marie's fairly accurate summary. We decided the best thing was to take it easy for a bit, so we wandered the beach, watching all the bonkers stuff that was going on. By this point we had lost everyone else, with little or no hope of finding them (Pasi's reply to a text concerning his whereabouts was "We Finns are in the toilet", which is obviously no help), so we slowly made our way down the beach to ours, arriving about half two. We went back to our Bungalow to try and feel better, as there was no chance of sleeping - we are only about 60 metres from one of the biggest sound systems on the beach. We kind of drifted in and out of sleep, getting the occasional text asking where we were - the last one was from Ivan around 5, by which point I think we had decided not to go out again. The music didn't stop until about 9 (actually as I write this it's 3pm and I can still hear bass from somewhere not too far away), by which time it was nearly time for Marie to pack up and leave.


This was the worst bit of the whole Full Moon experience - after a few confused phone calls, a van turned up outside our place to take Marie over the hill to wait with the others. We had a hurried goodbye, and I stood for a while at the spot where we parted, not really knowing what to do with myself. I got a message saying Marie still had my scarf, should she run back, so I walked over the hill to them and we had a much better goodbye. Then the truck caught me up on the road, passed me and stopped, meaning I had to say an awkward hello and farewell again. I was only just about holding it together by this point, and saying another goodbye didn't really help. I'm feeling a bit lost right now, I don't have my next destination sorted, I don't want to stay here as I'll just think about Marie, I don't know anyone on this island yet, and it's all a bit rubbish. It's been a really great month-and-a-bit, this whole thing with Marie has been brilliant and completely unexpected - I honestly have no idea when or indeed if I'll ever see her again, and that's bringing tears to my eyes at this very moment. I have said I'd love to go to Canada, but I don't know if I can or will, or if it would be a good idea, as it would just be for a short while and then we'd have to say goodbye again, and... well, I don't know. She only left three hours ago, so hopefully this'll get easier over the next few days or whatever. Anyway, the point is, she's wonderful, and I miss her. My sister warned me about this situation, with the words "don't get your heart broken, you big soft bear". Well, that's not exactly what's happened, but it feels like something similar.

No comments: